Elkton, Maryland

INTERSTATE MOTOR FREIGHT SYSTEM, GRAND RAPIDS, MI

Who would have thought that when Interstate Motor Freight System of Grand Rapids, MI began operations in

1924, it would grow to become one of the largest carriers in the country?

It is a story of acquisition which began with Inter Motor Corporation, Detroit in 1932 and Eastern Michigan

Trucking Corporation, Grand Rapids in 1939. Revenues grew from $250,000 in 1932 to $23 million by 1952.

Interstate went public in 1950.

Acquisitions continued with Moskowitz Motor Transportation in 1953, Lancaster Transportation in 1958, Bells

Express and Prucka Transportation in 1959, Midwest Transit Lines in 1960, Connecticut Motor Lines in 1961,

and Eaton Truck Lines in 1962. Revenue Reached a high $76 million

In 1984 Interstate close there doors,re-opened in 2001

By 2005, IMF handles 10 million shipments and logged more than 65,000,000 miles. Revenues reached a

record $256 million. The company now operates 44 terminals in a 24 state area from Boston to Denver

interconnecting there with Oak Harbor Freight Lines

Had an Experience with Interstate Motor Freight Systems?

Comments

Gerry Mills
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States #1341283

When IMFS opened in Oklahoma City they were the underdogs. Their service was poor and their sales representatives were second class. There were plenty of other excellent carriers in Oklahoma City to use that had a good image, better service and more stable.

Cleveland, Tennessee, United States #1205005

Used to live in Grand Rapids,Mi and remember the orange trucks well I also have a 1928 GRAND RAPIDS TELEPHONE DIRECTORY when they were in business only 4 years and were at 49 Scribner N.W.